Friday, November 30, 2007

Final November Gratitude Post

So here we are - the last day of the month. With this post I will complete my goal of posting things I'm grateful for each day this month (or several on other days to make up). It has really made me stop and think, and realize how grateful I am for the little things in life (as well as the big things). Even though I won't be posting these regularly anymore I do plan on thinking about it more and really having a "gratitude attitude". I am SO blessed!
  1. Drive-through and internet banking. I love being able to do my bills from my kitchen table, or out the window of my car - without dragging the kids inside (but Gabe has now discovered that the bank gives suckers - so he always asks for one now).
  2. Moisture - even though we don't get enough. (however, our mountains are supposed to get 12-24 inches in the next 24 hours!)
  3. Chapstick - I am obsessed with different flavors. I've discovered that I can't wear this one because it makes me hungry (I can't burn gingerbread candles either or I snack on junk all day long). But I do love lipsmackers Dr Pepper chapstick - or most of the other lipsmackers brand stuff (I love getting them in my stocking still too). Oh - this Pink Grapefruit lip butter is fantastic too!
  4. Oh I am also grateful for peppermint foot lotion. I love the feeling of tingly mint lotion on my piggies when I slip into bed!
  5. I'm grateful I've been able to nurse my 2 boys. It's been a special thing that it's come pretty easily for me, and that I've been able to keep up with it. Yeah, there are times when I feel a little tied down, but for the most part I'm grateful that it's gone well and helped my kids be healthy.
  6. Fun roommates I had at college. If there was any reason I wish I hadn't gotten married after just one year at college it would be because I didn't get to have more roommate experiences. I had awesome roommates for the most part. Today when I was thumming through the BYU-Idaho alumni magazine I saw that one of my favorite old roommates had won an award (Way to go Kat!). I think I'm going to try to find her and chat with her about her work in Africa - I'd love to go over there and do some of the work she's involved in!
  7. Travel opportunties I've had. Sure, I'm not an extensive traveler (yet), but I do feel blessed for the opportunties I have had. My trip to South Africa with Jessica was amazing, I've loved the trips we've earned with work, and love that my family took many educational trips as we grew up as well. I love planning trips, and feel grateful that we have a lifestyle that somewhat supports this.
  8. My digital food scale. It makes tracking portion sizes simple.
  9. Sweatshirts. I love hoodies, zip up sweatshirts - love the feeling of a brand new one when the fleece is still SO soft on the inside. I'm grateful to be wearing one today too when it's FREEZING cold!
  10. Laughter. I love giggling, I love laughing so hard it makes my head hurt and makes me cry. I love the kind of laughter that happens when you're somewhere where it's supposed to be quiet, and try as you might you can't stop giggling - the harder you try - the harder it is. I love it! I love memories that even now, years later make me smile and chuckle even though it's been years (Mom - I'm thinking of "A candle is a simple thing..." and when Brother Aaron sang in sacrament meeting years ago - those still make me laugh!)

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Joanna, Nov has been a challenging month for me, and I wanted to thank you for the powerful reminder your gratitude postings have been to me. Often, it has been enough to turn my day around to read your blessings and be reminded of my own. So thanks for the impetus this whole month.

Have a great weekend, and I love you all, Sandra

The Rhiens said...

I agree with Sandra...thanks for getting us all thinking more about the things we are grateful for--big and small. I may not have posted much lately, but I have been reading others posts on all the blogs and have been touched by your daily gratitudes. And yes, those two memories you mentioned at the end of today's posts still make me laugh when I think about them, too. Especially the "a candle's just a simple thing". :) Ha, ha! Thanks for sharing.

Love, Mom