Sunday, November 18, 2007

Tasty Turkey Recipe

So I made a really tasty dinner tonight, if I do say so myself. I tried cooking a turkey breast in the crock-pot, and it was yummy! So here's the recipe:

Turkey in a Pot - (From Taste of Home Slow Cooker Favorites Cook-book)

  • 1 boneless turkey breast (3-4 lbs), halved
  • 1 can (16 oz) whole-berry cranberry sauce
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1 tbsp cider vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cold water

Place the turkey skin side up in a 5-qt slow cooker. Comine cranverry sauce, sugar, apple juice, vinegar, garlic, mustard, cinnamon, cloves and allspice; pour over turkety. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees.

Remove turkey to a cutting board; keep warm. Strain cooking juices. In a saucepan, combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir in strained juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Served with sliced turkey.

My changes:

  • I had a really small turkey breast - 1 1/2 lbs - and it worked just fine
  • I didn't have all spice, so I left that out
  • I didn't use as much sugar
  • I wasn't paying attention to the recipe - and I just mixed everything together when I was making the sauce (I added the flour and water to the mixture). Instead of starting over I just let it go and it cooked fabulously. I didn't end up having to make a gravy - because the sauce it cooked in had become a perfect gravy.
  • I only had jellied cranberry sauce (which was a mistake at the store - once again - not paying attention).

Anyway I also made rolls, stuffing from a box, mashed potatoes. It was good, and even Gabe is eating it (a huge accomplishment!)

1 comment:

The Rhiens said...

Mmmmmmm! Sounds good. :)

Mom