Wednesday, August 22, 2007

We did it!

Well I am proud to report that I have officially gone and run errands with the 2 boys by myself. And know what? It didn't even end up in tears. We had several places to run to yesterday (several things that didn't include getting out of the car, which was nice), and we had to do some grocery shopping and pick up stuff for a Young Woman activity. Gabe was cooperative for the most part and was VERY social at the grocery store - making most of the other customers laugh at some point or another.

When we left the house I told Gabe that if he was good we'd get a treat. He yelled out "CAKE!" Then he proceeded to tell me that he wanted to buy a cake at Lin's and come back and have cake with candles and hats (like for his birthday). I figured we'd buy a cupcake and celebrate having a successful shopping trip when we got home. However, you could only buy a dozen cupcakes at a time and they looked pretty nasty (you know - with the spraypainted blue frosting and stuff?) Gabe was pretty enthralled by some other single layer cakes they had - so I went for a tasty looking carrot cake.

Well we got home and decided we'd have cake after dinner. However, Gabe rebelled and would not eat dinner. I stuck to my guns and wouldn't let him have cake unless he ate his dinner. (Sometimes I hate being the "mean" mom). So we'll see how lunch goes today and we'll celebrate then.

Anyway, I did want to report that we did make it out of the house, and back again, and hopefully we'll be able to do it as uneventfully as we did yesterday.

Also last night I took Hunter to our Young Woman activity - and almost even made it on time! (We were getting ready to run out the door and his diaper was a mess. So as I changed him he pooped all over me and the clean new diaper, as I cleaned that up he peed on me. I cleaned that up and he peed again all over himself and me! So I got everything cleaned up, handed him to Cory for a minute while I threw some laundry in - and by the time I came back moments later he already needed another diaper. We went through 4 diapers in under 10 minutes!!!) But I put Hunter in a sling that I had from Gabe and we headed to our activity. I had no sooner walked around the block than he was asleep in the sling. I was so glad it worked so well! That may be the answer to getting things done with Gabe and Hunter at the same time.

Lastly - HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD ELLIS! Hope you have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

The Rhiens said...

Yay! You did it! And it will get easier and easier with time. So, did Gabe get the cake after lunch? :) Happy Birthday, Kim!

Love, Earlene, Scott and Julia

Chris and Jana said...

That is quite the accomplishment, I'm very proud of you! I am also so very glad that I'm not the only one that has experienced your diaper changing incident. It seems like that always happens right when you're trying to go somewhere. I laughed so hard when I read that.