Thursday, January 10, 2008

Stuff

It finally came! The "Mater Copter" I ordered on December 3rd finally got here today. They were backordered everywhere - so I just ordered one to get here after Christmas. It is just a 15$ toy, and there were places that had them for $50! I guess Gabe wasn't the only one who asked Santa for one.

Anyway, today when it came I decided to do a little bargining with Gabe. See - on Christmas Eve we talked Gabe into leaving Santa all of his binkies except for one. We told him that Santa would leave him some fun presents if he would trade for his binkies (he only has them for naps and bedtime, but I still wanted to get rid of the darn things!) It went over fantastically - since Cory let him keep one. So tonight I made up a whole story to Gabe about how Santa heard he had one binkie left, and if Gabe would send him his last binkie - that Santa had a surprise for him. So he handed it over very willingly - it was surprising. I handed him the Mater Copter and his eyes got all big and he said in awe, "Thank you....."

He had a blast playing with it, loved pulling Mater out, and went and got a couple of his other cars to ride along with Mater - he was having a blast. Mater watched him take a bath, and Mater got placed on his book-case when Gabe went to bed to watch over Gabe. Then he realized it - he didn't have his binkie. He actually went down ok at first - we told him he was a BIG BOY, and talked it up real good.

But about 3 minutes after we left his room he fell apart. He wanted his binkie! "I want my ONE binkie!" I went into the room and he just threw his arms around me and wanted to be rocked. We tried explaining to him that he could play with his helicopter tomorrow, and what a big boy he was and how proud of him we were. We explained that if he got his binkie back that we'd have to send his toy back in the mail. He said he wanted, "the lady who brought the Mater Copter for Santa to come pick it back up". (The mail lady brought it this afternoon, and he knew that there was a surprise in the box) Then to distract him I went and got some music for him to listen to as he fell asleep.

Well, about 1/2 hour later I finally left him in his room crying - because I had rocked him, rubbed his back, gotten him water, rocked him some more.....I was afraid if I kept it up he'd think this is what we'd do every night. So I left him and let him cry a bit. Then Cory went in and promised Gabe he'd play with him tomorrow, and Gabe was fine and went to sleep. So here's hoping that he doesn't get up in the night and want his binkie!

Another little thing that happened this week that still has me laughing (and yet totally confused). On Monday we had a bunch of snow and Cory looked online and picked out a snow shovel he wanted me to buy. It was stinking expensive, but he said it would last at least 5 years, and so I just said fine and bought it. The shipping was ridiculous too - like $20.00! But I had no idea how much a snow shovel should cost.

Well yesterday afternoon it was delivered. I put the box in the corner and figured Cory's open it when he got home. So last night when I got home from YW Cory said, "Come see the shovel I got. I put it together, but I can't figure out what to do with the extra parts, there are a whole bunch of extra parts." So I go in and look at his new expensive shovel and then he shows me the box - there are 5 other handles and 5 other shovel bodies in the box! Yeah - a few 'extra' parts.

So we looked at the packing slip, and apparently we bought ONE UNIT - not one shovel, and one unit was 6 shovels! Yeah - that would explain the $20.00 shipping! It's odd too because we can't find anywhere on our order, online, or anywhere else where it would have specified that we were buying SIX shovels. I guess most people are just smart enough to see the price and know that a shovel doesn't cost 78$ most of the time. I don't know....I'm emailing the shipper and we'll see what the deal is....I guess now instead of an expensive shovel that will last us 5 years - we'll be set for at least 30 years!

Last night Gabe said the funniest thing. It was a crazy night with Young Womens, and Cory wasn't going to be home in time - so I decided we'd run and get Wendy's for dinner. I talked it all up to Gabe - hoping it would help him eat better. (I'm willing to try anything at this point!) I said, "Hurry up Gabe - let's go - I'm really busy tonight!" He answered with, "Mom - I'll go myself. You stay here and feed Hunter." He paused for a second and said, "Go get me your keys!" I almost took him up on it - but then I realized that he couldn't see over the steering wheel, reach the peddles, and there was snow on the roads...bummer - he is pretty good with left and right - AND directions :)

I have now exercised for 4 days in a row - YAY! I also found a training schedule I'm going to try - to mix it up a bit and keep me increasing my speed and distance some each week. I also ordered a running bra - that get this - is called, "The Last Resort".....so sad, it looks like I have no other options :)

Well I am heading to bed. The good thing about this exercising and getting up earlier in the mornings - I'm ready for bed by 8:00 most nights.

5 comments:

Grandma Marilyn said...

I love your Blog. It keeps me going! I tell you guys yoou have your hands full with Gabe!

Sandra was at least 4 before she took the the chrome dinning room chairs apart in the middle of the night. About three Earlene looked at the soap box and said"Duz" it was a few days later she saw a sign and shouted stop!I was in the car and it scared me.
The shovel story is so funny. Cant" you sell them on E-Bay?
Don't ever apoogize for you blog. It is NEVER boring. Love grandma Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the first week of getting exercise every day! That;s the hardest one for me--and its arguably the most important. I am rooting for you! Cheers, Sandra

Tiffany B said...

LOL about Gabe driving himself to Wendy's. Hope your snow shovel is worth it!! I tried to talk Clayne into getting him a snowblower for his birthday, but he didn't go for it so I got him one of those "old people" ergonomic shovels lol.

Anonymous said...

Joanna!

I love reading your blog and I end up laughing a lot when I do. The snow shovel story sounds a lot like Cory (having known him). I laughed about your running bra! What a weird name, so off the wall. I guess you'll never forget that one.

Candee and Weston

Chelsea said...

Congrats on getting rid of the binky!! I kept putting it off, putting it off. Henry was so attached. It was actually a lot less painful than I anticipated. I think I will make the break sooner with the next kiddos. My only fear is having a child one day that won't take a pacifier.