Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Happy to report...


I'm happy to report that I went to the dentist today for a check-up and I am CAVITY FREE! Yay! I do have to do some flouride treatments, and of course floss more (does anyone else have a hard time with that one?) But things look good, and I got some nice compliments on my teeth too, which was nice. We actually were trying a new dentist and I think I like him. The funny thing was that I left the boys with a friend and so it was kind of like having a little 'me' time. I think it was the most relaxed I've ever been in a dentist office - it was nice.


Anyway, I talked to the hygenist about what we could do to help Gabe want to brush his teeth more. He's actually gotten better about it - but he's still not the greatest. Sometimes he hardly even lets us put the brush in his mouth. I've tried buying several different "fun" brushes (he has Elmo, Nemo, Cars...and some other one....Power Rangers I think) - so he can pick which one to brush with. And he has Winnie the Pooh or Cars toothpaste too. The hygenist basically said that it comes with age - and not to worry about bringing him in for a cleaning, but to wait to bring him in until he's about 3 or so. That was a relief - now I might still be in the running for mother-of-the-year award


(I'm totally kidding! I have been out of the running ever since Gabe turned 2 and started trying my patience...or probably before that!)


And lastly - I'll share a couple of Gabe funnies (I mostly do this so I can remember these things - I have a HORRIBLE memory, and blogging is like a journal for me):


  • Gabe has become the MASTER of stalling when it's naptime or bedtime. Bedtime can take HOURS and makes Cory and I crazy. Today when Gabe called me into his room at naptime he said he needed a drink of water. I was frustrated and it showed on my face I guess because he said, "I make you nuts - huh?"
  • The other day Gabe did something silly and I said, "You're a little stinker you know. Has anyone ever told you you're a stinker?" He answere with a "YUP! Gramma!" I asked him which Grandma and he said, "Hmmm...don't member." So aparently one of his Grandma's called him a stinker (and rightfully so) - but don't worry - it didn't hurt his feelings enough that he remembers.
  • My friend Lynette is a hairdresser and has cut Gabe's hair for us several times. The other day - about a week ago - Gabe was eating breakfast and he said, "Mom - I need a haircut - please call Sister Stone. I go her house and eat popcorn, watch a movie, and get a haircut. You need a haircut too!" I laughed and said I'd talk to Lynette and we'd go over to her house soon. So yesterday we were having YW presidency meeting at our house and I told Gabe that Lynette was coming over in a bit for our meeting. A few minutes later I caught him getting popcorn out of the cupboard and I had no idea what he was doing. Then when she came to the door he ran to the door and yelled, "Lynette - you're here to cut my hair!?!? Come - have popcorn." He remembers EVERYTHING - it's funny. (The last time we went to her house he watched a movie and ate popcorn while she cut his hair...it was months and months ago though and I hardly even remembered it.)
  • After our presidency meeting my other friend was rounding her 3 girls up and getting them in the car. They walked out the door and Gabe had to wave good-bye to them from the front porch. When they got in the car he yelled, "Wait - good-bye - I LOVE YOU!" at the top of his lungs. It was pretty cute - and he kept saying, "I lOVE YOU!" and blowing them kisses. (This family - the Richeys actually have 4 girls from the age of 7-1 and Gabe LOVES them. One afternoon I picked up their oldest Mariah from school and when she got in the car we got to talking about how much she likes Gabe. She said, "Wouldn't it be funny if I married Gabe someday?" I laughed and told her I'd be delighted if she married Gabe. She laughed and said, "We'll just have to see what happens I guess." So even the older girls are after Gabe.
  • Another time I was talking about the Richey girls to Gabe for some reason and I said, "So Gabe - what do you think of those Richey girls?" He got this far off look on his face and said, "Riah's pretty!" (once again - she's 7 years old....scary!)

So I've given you enough Gabe tid-bits this week...sorry to be so boring. Have a great day. I'm off to get on the treadmill. I normally want to exercise in the morning, but today I couldn't drag my tired behind out of bed in time to do it. So I'm trying to stick to exercising Monday-Friday and hoping on this afternoon while the boys nap.

Oh - one more thing! I'm thinking of doing a give-away on the blog. We've been members of the Disney Movie club for the last several months. This past month they messed up and sent us 2 copies of the movies we ordered. So I have an extra copy of "Ratatouille" and an extra copy of a dvd collection of Disney/Pixar animated short films. Disney isn't charging me for the second copy (in fact they said I could throw them away if I didn't want them....that's dumb!) and so I thought I'd give them away at some point from my blog. So be watching, and I'll have some kind of contest and if you're interested please join. More info coming soon.

4 comments:

jed-laura said...

oooh, free stuff from a blog contest! I think that sounds fun! I love both of those movies, and don't have them, so I'll definitely have to try and win :)

Grandma calling Gabe a stinker and Gabe saying I make you nuts... seriously funny! What a stinker!

The Rhiens said...

I am presently wracking my brain, trying to remember if it was me that called him a stinker. Hmmm! I don't know. What a cutie all the grandkids are! I love hearing the little things they say. I wish we had had blogs to record this stuff on, for others to enjoy, when I was a young mother.

Love it! Love you!
Mom

The Palmer family said...

Hey Joanna, Gabe sounds so cute and fun. I wish I could have seen you guys at Thanksgiving. Oh well maybe next time. Hey do you have our blog address? Well here it is: www.jrpalmerfamily.blogspot.com See ya, Kami

Anonymous said...

Joanna, When I was first struggling to floss every night, I worked out the trick of associating it with something really pleasurable. It was in my first couple years in CA, so I went out on the porch and looked at the night sky while I flossed. Then for two or three years after that, we put floss in every room of the house (by the TV, by the phone, on the dining room table, at the computer, by the bed, etc. )so that whenever in the evening the idea popped into our heads, there would be no obstacles to doing right then. Now, it's just second nature--I doubt there are more than one or two nights in a year when I don't floss, and I always regret it within a day or two. Good luck, Sandra