Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Our Wednesday

  • I LOVE super cold Diet Dr Pepper and these frosty mugs (sorry for the blurry picture) are PERFECT for a chilly drink. I have gone through all of my mugs though and they've been dropped, cracked, or almost exploded (seriously, I had it sitting on the kitchen table and was drinking from it one night when the mug made the loudest sound - like it was about to explode - and then bubbles came out of the cup. We couldn't find a hole, but it was just a bit scary so I tossed the mug). Anyway, I searched Ebay and found a set of new mugs (4) and they came in the mail yesterday. YAY! And these come in incredibly handy when you need a quick "pick-me-up" - which I difinetly need today after being up almost all night (see the next bullet)
  • I've got a sick baby. Poor little Hunter is stuffy, booger-y (I'm pretty sure that's not a word...), frustrated, and feels miserable. I took him into the dr this morning and he has a double ear infection and croup. Poor little guy. He's still been smiley, but he definitely doesn't feel fabulous. Gabe has never had an ear infection, so I had hoped I'd be lucky like that with Hunter too. No such luck. Darn it! I'm praying he gets better within the next week so he won't be sick while we're on vacation.
  • High School Musical - I have a confession, I love the music from these movies! Gabe loves the movies and the music too - it's cute. I think my dream in life would be to be in a musical like that, singing, dancing - all like it's natural and part of life. However, that would require that I have a decent voice and could dance...and I really don't see either one happening anywhere other than in a "dream". I am pretty fantastic when I sing and dance around my kitchen for the boys though :)
  • Gabe hasn't really been excited about the new Mater Helicopter he got. Almost every nap and bedtime he has cried for his binky. He even told me to call the mail lady and have her come get his mater copter so he could send it back. He wanted his binky back and wanted to trade. The the mail lady came to our front door yesterday (to deliver the mugs) and Gabe was all upset because she didn't take his Mater Copter with her. Darn - I was disappointed, I thought he was in love with the toy. I guess those darn binkies have been pretty special to him too. But we've stuck to our guns and been binky free....here's hoping we can keep it up!
  • Yesterday Gabe was at my friend's house while I went visiting teaching and she asked him how old he was. He said, "I'm FOUR!" Well....2 years off, but more accurate than you'd think. This little guy is such a funny chatter-bug and talks so well for his age. And when I went to pick him up I was informed that next time I have to let Gabe come when the other girls are home so Cory and I can go on a date (they're in school) so they can all watch him. I'll have to take them up on that.
  • Speaking of dates - Last night Cory and I went out to dinner - just the 2 of us and it was heavenly! We normally don't go out - or we take Hunter with us...no wait - we rarely go out! But last night we did and this weekend we have another babysitter lined up too! We also talked to one of our favorite sitters and arranged for her to be our 'regular' sitter - and she's going to call us once a week and tell us when she'd like to babysit - and we'll work with her schedule. I had an arrangement like this with the Wilson family when I was growing up and it worked out great. This way we know we get to go out regularly, and it won't depend on US to get the sitter - she'll come to us and remind us we need to go out. I'm excited. Even if it's just going grocery shopping together - at least we'll get to be us for a couple hours a week.
  • I know I said I'd do a contest/giveaway on the blog this week and haven't followed through. I've been trying to come up with something fun to do as the contest...but I'm not so creative right now. I'll be sure to get it figured out soon though.
  • And lastly - Gabe wanted his picture taken when I got my camera out to upload some pictures - so here's the messy little stinker.

5 comments:

jed-laura said...

don't know if you've read this book or not, but Laura and I have really liked reading the book called Love and Logic for toddlers. Gabe is such a strong-willed child (aren't they all), and this book helps to find methods of how you can best teach your child to use that power of choice to learn how to make good decisions on his own. I know reading it has really helped Allison to be much better behaved, not as whiny, and more of a joy to be around... She's also a better decision maker.

Anyway, thought I'd pass that on, since we've found lots of good information that helped us in that book. We were kind of at wits end one day, and Alli had been a real handful for a while, and we heard about this book from a friend that recommended it to us. Ever since, it's been a real blessing to see behavior changing for the better most of the time.

Have fun at Sea World!

Have you tried pewter frosted mugs? They don't crack as easy... I agree on the diet Dr. Pepper being yummy!

Never thought I'd say that.

Katie said...

I think "booger-y" IS a word in Mom Language:)I'm sorry he is sick though, that makes life rough on everyone. I love reading about your little family. Your boys are darling.

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

We were baby sitting Mylan and Bena last week and they had colds. One of my friends called and asked Alicia how it was going (she knows how Alicia hates to babysit) and Alicia said - "IT"S Gross. They are Sticky and Snotty". I just kept grabbing Kleenex and wiping noses every time they walked within reach - but Alicia was definitely grossed out.

Grandma Marilyn said...

Speaking of logic and children.Gabe is very logical. Have you told him- you know he misses his binkie , but if he keeps using i his cousins and other children will make fun of him and that he should give it up now. Praise him for being a brave boy and beng the big brother. He can understand too that mom and dad have given up things (ike Choc, BIG BOY TOYS too.
Have fun at Sea World. When it wears off come back for more G Marilyns wit and wisdom. Love you

Tiffany B said...

Fun post Joanna. Sorry to hear that Hunter is sick. Hope he is better soon. Have a fun time at sea world! Oh and I loved your Christmas photo gifts. Cute as ever.