Monday, January 07, 2008

a few other ramblings

I forgot to list a couple other things about Gabe that I wanted to remember:
  • Gabe is working on learning the alphabet. We got a great movie from Jed and Laura for Christmas that is helping with it. I highly recommend the Leapfrog Letter Factory - it's awesome! (I couldn't find it when looking online, but I did find this one - Word Factory and it looks good too). Gabe has learned quite a few of his letters - and more importantly - the sounds. Thanks guys - we love it!
  • As for letters - the letter W is Gabe's favorite. He can pick it out every time. But this morning I showed him the letter M and asked him what letter it was. He said, "An upside down W!" Yeah - I guess he's right...He also loves the letter O and S.
  • Gabe LOVES these sticker books. I had bought him one for Christmas in 2006 from Costco and it's been one of his favorite books to play with. I was so sad when he did all the activities and searched all over online and stuff to find him the same book again. I couldn't find it, but I did find a Spanish version - and bought it to give him for Christmas this year. However, when we were at Costco this weekend I found a whole bunch of them and for cheaper than I found online (only 7.99!) so I bought 4 of them - and now after we've played stickers all day long I think I need to go get some more of them while they still have them...
Now I can't think of the others I was going to mention....more later I guess.

I remembered the other thing I was going to say.

  • Gabe has developed a fear recently of robots and turtles....funny huh? Both times he was being babysat by someone (at their houses) and they said he totally freaked out about their family turtle, and a toy robot that our other friends have. He's just starting to tell me things he's scared of, and Cory's hoping it's just a phase - he wants a TOUGH kid.
  • Gabe LOVES BBQ pork sandwhiches. Tonight he ate a whole big sandwhich and a bunch of broccoli (which he corrected me when I said they were "trees" - he said, "No mom, I wanted BROCCOLI!") Food is a funny thing with him....

4 comments:

jed-laura said...

we got a few of the more advanced word factory videos, and Alli seems to like them too. I think it's hard to learn complex spelling with our messed up english language- especially all the vowel variations.

One of the videos we got deals specifically with how to figure out the silent E words, and vowel combinations.

Glad you liked the letter factory video.

Laura said...

Joanna,
we got your thank you from Gabe in the mail, but we also got a very cute card to G&G Whisler, I figured it was a mistake, if it is ok with you, we'll send it on with our thank you from Allison, so they still get it.
-love, Laura

Liz said...

I LOVE hearing about your boys! They sound so fun! Thanks for the new posts. (I'm a blog nerd that checks ALL the time!)
If Gabe likes the Letter Factory, you should look into getting the Leap Frog Word Whammer. Emeline LOVES hers, and it is definitely why she started being able to sound out words. It goes on the fridge (or doesn't have to) and has three slots for magnetic letters with different settings to help kids make short words. It is so cute!
Anyway, way to go Gabe for starting on letters! I think it is so cute and fun to watch those little minds going to work!

Hilary said...

what a smartie! your boys sound so fun & cute.