Wednesday, January 30, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

So one of the reasons I'm kind of glad we came home from our trip early is that on the way home we heard that President Hinckley had passed away. I was filled with joy as we heard the news – so happy for him to be reunited with his sweet wife after being apart. I can only imagine the beautiful reunion that took place between them and the thought of it made me want to hug Cory a little tighter, and love him a little better.

I was also sad. Sad that we wouldn't be able to enjoy President Hinckley's wit and wisdom at every conference. I loved his sense of humor and love of life. I loved how as he taught us he didn't ever chastize - but he loved us in a way that made you want to be better. He never made me feel guilty, but that I was trying hard. He loved all - not just Mormon people. He loved the youth and I think that they really felt that. He will be missed, but what a joyous reunion it must have been with his sweet Marjorie.

I'm glad we've been home to enjoy the tributes that we are seeing everywhere on the local news programs. I have loved hearing about his life, hearing stories about his growing up, his experiences as the prophet, and how he touched so many lives. What an amazing man.

He certainly makes me want to stand a little taller, and do a little better.

No comments: