Monday, June 16, 2008

My YW calling

Well it's here - the day I have been waiting for for a while now. And yet, now that it's here - I'm sad.

Today I got released from my calling in the YW presidency. I have been in YW for 4 1/2 years now. Over that 4 years I was an advisor (in Rexburg), 1st Counselor (when we first moved here - like a week after we had moved in - before our ward split), an advisor over Miamaids (after our ward split, and I had just had Gabe), and then the 2nd Counselor (from the time Gabe was 10 months old until now - 2 years). In fact, the 2 laurels we have in our ward now were just barely Beehives when we moved here

For the most part I have LOVED being in YW. I have a testimony of the YW program, and what it gives the girls. I love being with the girls, and I love the women I have gotten to serve with. I love watching the strength of the youth of the church - those kids are amazing! I love hearing testimonies of a young woman who had been previously struggling, or hearing of experiences when the girls had made great choices. I loved talking to girls who were excited about Personal Progress, or who had set a goal and were excited to have achieved it.

I have also loved feeling like I had a place in our ward where I belonged. I liked having a purpose, and an assignment. Granted, there were times when it was tough to arrange things to be at activities - people to watch the boys if Cory was gone, being sick (I was in YW through both pregnancies), being tired, feeling like I was away from my family all the time, meetings, meetings, meetings. But you know what? Those things were nothing compared to the awesome experiences I've had.

One of my favorite things was that all of the YW got together a couple of years ago to fast for a girl in our ward who wanted to be baptized. She had asked her parents, but they had said no. She had been coming to YW activities and church for a long time - but she wanted to be a member, and be baptized. The girls decided together to have a special fast for this sweet YW. Know what? The night everyone fasted this awesome girl's mom gave her the permission to take the missionary discussions and be baptized.

Then I also watched recently as a special girl in our ward was struggling. She hadn't been coming, and we were all reaching out to her and wanting her to be with us. The girls planned YW camp and one of their biggest goals was to touch this girl and get her to come to camp. We thought it wasn't going to happen, but at the last minute she decided to go for the whole time! It was so great to see her with the girls and I pray that she could feel of their spirit. I loved watching the girls reach out to each other, and include each other. I always loved to see when their prayers were answered and they were able to touch each other's lives.

And I loved the tear-filled hugs I got today as they left our lesson. Those girls each left a special place in my heart and for that I am grateful. I might not have made a huge difference in their lives, but I do know that they have in mine!

5 comments:

MaryRuth said...

Oh I totally understand how you feel!!! After eight years I feel my days are numbered as well.

They'll fill your spot but they'll never be able to replace you. They've been so lucky to have you!!

Good luck with this new chapter in your life... and be sure to tell me what RS is like...its been so long I can't even remember.

Good luck!

Me - Jen said...

Oh you are so headed for nursery!! hee hee!! Just kiddin'!! I am sure you had a lasting impression on the YW in your ward and they will carry you and your calling with them through the years!!

Kristi said...

It's always hard to be released from YW. I have spent most of my time in YW's, and always love it. The girls are just so easy to get attached to. You'll do great wherever you are called to serve. :)

The Rhiens said...

I know that the girls have loved you and have been so richly blessed by their association with you. And I know, from our talks, that you have loved each and every one you were called to serve. I know that you have rejoiced with them when they have been happy and been sad with/for them at times when they were sad or living below their potential. It is always hard to end a time of service in YW because you get SO attached to the girls.

Just keep being their friends. They can all use as many adult mentors as they can get. Remember how much you loved (and still love) your YW leaders from your teen years? They will love you always.

Good luck in whatever you are asked to do in weeks and months to come.

Love, Mom

Tiffany B said...

I agree it is hard to be released from YW but also a relief lol. I bet that you touched the lives of many YW and I think they were fortunate to have you as a leader.