Thursday, April 24, 2008

Trip to see Grandparents & springtime

Last weekend we headed up north to help move my sweet Grandma Marilyn's stuff out of her apartment. She has moved into a care facility, and we were just helping out to get the last things taken care of. We were lucky to spend some time with my Aunt Sandra, Grandma Marilyn, and then went to see Grandma and Grandpa Whisler. Gabe had been spending time with his cousins for the week, so we picked him up so he could see grandparents.

First of all, I was very happy with the place my Grandma is staying. For a nursing home it was one of the cleanest, nicest ones I've been in. I've had a phobia of nursing homes ever since my Great Grandma Snyder lived in one close to us as I was growing up. So I was nervous to see Grandma Marilyn. But you know what? It was very pleasant, and I had a strong feeling of peace with her there. I know she will be very well taken care of, and that she will physically have what she needs.

And on Sunday we went and saw Grandma and Grandpa Whisler too. I love seeing my kids with their grandparents, and their great grandparents. Hunter and Gabe have 8 grandmothers living, and 6 grandfather living. It's so great to see them be loved. And it was fun to hear Grandma Whisler singing the same songs and rhymes to Hunter as I remember her singing to me, and to watch Gabe playing with the toys behind the couch that I played with, and sit in the chair I remember rocking in. Ohh....memories...

I don't have any pictures from Gabe's adventures with his cousins - but check out this post on my sister-in-law's blog. She documented things really well, and you can see what a great time Gabe had. We're so lucky to all be loved by grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins!

And with the weather being nicer (at least occasionally nicer...it doesn't seem to be able to make up it's mind!) the boys have enjoyed playing outside more. We brought in several loads of playground bark and have it under our swing set now - it's nice. However, our back-yard has NO shade. We really need to get an awning put up (you'd think we could get that done - since Cory sells awnings!), and some trees planted. However, the sunshine has not deterred the boys. They have loved swinging on the swingset, and Gabe has had fun now that he can climb the stairs up to the top of the slide and go down - ALL BY HIMSELF. It's been fun to see Gabe being able to do a bit more this spring than he could do last year. I can hardly wait until Hunter is walking and running after Gabe - they'll have a blast.

And lastly - my point and shoot camera stinks! Especially when I take pictures indoors!!! Any advice anyone? The pictures indoors especially are super grainy! It drives me nuts because I don't have room in my diaper bag to lug around my SLR....and I thought this was a nice point and shoot when I bought it....Oh well, I guess the grainy, crummy pictures are enough to remember what was happening at the time - right?

Oh - one more thing - I just have to give a shout-out to Cory and thank him for being an awesome husband. I am so grateful that he is around most nights to help me out with the boys! He's been gone for several days, and there's nothing like absence to make the heart grow fonder. I am reminded how much he does to lighten my load and I am even more grateful for him!

1 comment:

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

thank you so much for the pics and the update - and thank you and Cory so much for helping with the physical labor and driving around for the move. We really appreciate you guys taking that effort to help.

I looked at the Mullen blog and it looked like Gabe had a really fun time. Cousins are so important. You guys are great to put the effort into making sure they have the times to be together. LOVE, Aunt Charlotte