Sunday, June 17, 2007

You never say to a pregnant woman.....

a lot of things....but today I was reminded that you never tell them that they are huge.

I was at church and a woman who lives down the street from me (and incidentally is my visiting teacher) came up to me and started patting my tummy. She asked me when she could come to visit teach me. I said, "Anytime - you tell me what works for you, and I can make it work". She looked concerned and said, "But when is your due date?" (as if she didn't want to schedule to come visiting teaching, because I might be busy having my baby). I told her not until August.

Then she got an even more concerned look on her face and said, "Wow! You look like you could go any day now! I mean some people look tiny at this point - but you are huge." Another deeply concerned expression crossed her face and she said, "Is the Doctor concerned? I mean, like are they worried that you're so big?" I told her no, and that I just carry really big.

She then goes on (and I'm actually not in tears yet) and says that it's great because when a woman is pregnant is the only time you can tell them that they're huge, and it's a compliment. I firmly told her, "Well, I don't particularly look at it as a compliment - someone telling me I'm fat is just that - telling me I'm fat!". That didn't even seem to phase her.

And as we finished our conversation she reassured me that if I went into labor and needed someone to watch Gabe, that I could call her any time. (Won't she be disappointed that that won't be happening for at least another month +)

Anyway - moral of the story is - if you know a pregnant woman, don't comment on her size, don't tell her she's huge - because chances are, she probably won't look at it as a compliment!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's terrible!! Not nice at all! :o( I always hated that and the comment, "You're still here?" when I'd show up to church at the end of my pregnancies! Sorry that happened...

Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

Nicole had a friend comment on how "huge" she was a few weeks ago. The funny thing was that that same friend was 3 or 4 weeks ahead of Nicole and even "huger".

or there's always, "it seems like you've been pregnant forever...!" from people that you hardly know. Nicole's answer is always, "yeah, tell me about it."

We love you, good luck with this last month and a half! Love, Paul & Nicole

jed-laura said...

Laura was at the store when she was pregnant only 6 months, and had this conversation with a complete stranger...

Stranger: How many do you got in there?
Laura: Just one.

Stranger: No really, how many are you going to have?
Laura: just ONE.

Stranger: No seriously- are the doctors sure there's only one, I would have bet it was at least 3 in there?
Laura: Yeah, they are sure.

Stranger: So you're gonna pop any day now huh?
Laura: nope, I've still got 3 months to go.

Stranger: NO, that can't be- you are huge!
Laura: ok, thanks-bye.

Sometimes we should think before talking.

I think a good thing to say to a pregnant woman is "It's good to see you"

maggie said...

Don't you just love tactless people!?! I also loved how everyone and anyone (including perfect strangers!) would touch my stomach! The joys of being pregnant! hang in there!

Rachel Clare said...

Hi, has this woman had children?
I dont know many pregnant women (especially those in their 3rd trimester) who feel very good about how they look... how unbelievable.
For what it's worth, I totally looked like I should have given birth about a month before I actually did.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better Kevin came into the room the other night while I was reading blogs and saw a picture of another blogger I read and said "You didnt tell me she was having TWINS!" I took that as a good teaching moment to enlighten my dear sweet (stupid) husband on things he should never say to or about a pregnant woman. Especially one that is, in fact, NOT having twins! :P