Sunday, October 04, 2009

Halloween Sugar Cookies





One of the traditions that I bring to our family - from the Rhien's (or from my mom anyway) is pumpkin faced sugar cookies at Halloween time.

My mom always made the cutest sugar cookies and when I left for college I remember being homesick for my mom's cookies. Lucky me - my mom sent me a big box of them. They were so delicious, and I'm sure she barely remembers making them - but I remember the feeling they gave me. They reminded me that I was loved, and that no matter how far away I was from my mom - she'd always take care of me. I also remember loving sharing them with my roommates and special friends. I was sharing my mom's love with them too - and that felt awesome too!

So when we saw cookie cutters at Walmart yesterday Gabe wanted to make cookies. We got the candy corns and he was ready for it this morning. I did inherit one thing from my mom, and that is a perfectionist attitude about the cookies. She rarely let us help with the cookies - and she'd do them when we weren't around so they would be so perfect looking. I felt a bit of that when we were making them today. But we had fun, and I tried really hard to just let the boys help out. Plus - mine aren't nearly as perfect as my moms are yet anyway. I have a few more years to go.

So since I can't send you all a box of fresh, smiley pumpkin faces - I can at least share the recipe with you.

Better Homes & Gardens - Sugar Cookie Cutouts

1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour

Beat butter and shortening on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and a dash of salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla Beat i nas much of the clour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough for 3 hours or until it is easy to handle.

On a lightly floured surface, roll half at a time to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are firm and botttoms are very lightly browned. Cool on a rack. Frost with Butter Frosting.

Butter Frosting

1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
milk
food coloring (optional)

In a mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.

Slowly beat in remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additinoal milk i fneeded to reach spreading consistency, if desired, tint with food coloring.

(**I always double the cookie recipe - it doesn't make a ton of cookies.)

2 comments:

The Rhiens said...

These look ever as good as mine, Joanna. I am glad that you let the boys do some, too...I regret that it wasn't a family affair when you were growing up--that I was so obsessive about it that I couldn't let go and allow them to be less than perfect. I missed out and so did you guys. Learn from my mistakes. Nicole and I were actually talking about this last night. Enjoy. They look yummy!

Tarrah said...

Those cookies look so yummy, will have to try out the recipe. Your such a fun mom!