Monday, December 15, 2008

"I looked out the window.....



.....and what did I see? Yummy caramel popcorn smiling back at me."

I have been busy today working on making our neighbor gifts for this year. Most year I do something store-bought - a bottle of sparkling cider, pop/popcorn, an ornament, etc. But this year in an effort to save money and give a heart-felt gift - I thought I'd make homemade caramel popcorn instead of buying something. Oh goodness! The recipe I have been using (from my Mama Rhien) is DELICOUS. It's the crunchy cooked caramel corn - so if you like it a bit crunchy - this is perfect.

But - if you're making 35+ bags of it - it takes roughly.....um - FOREVER!

So I'm 1/2 way done - hopefully I can finish (or come close) tomorrow. I wanted to get our goodies out to the neighbors/friends before they are all goodied out. I want them to still get to enjoy it. (You know how there comes a point when you have had WAY too many sweets and can't stand the thought of another treat. I wanted to hit BEFORE that happens).

Here's the recipe - it's tasty!

Caramel Corn

  • 5 cups popped popcorn
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup Light Karo Syrup
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

Pop popcorn and take out any of the duds (so you don't break a tooth). Mix butter, sugar, syrup and salt and cook until boiling. Boil for 5 minutes. Pour over popcorn and stir to coat evenly. Place in an oven-proof pan and bake at 250 degrees for one hour - stirring every 15 minutes. After one hour pour popcorn out onto wax paper, tin foil or cookie sheets until cool. Break apart and enjoy!

(My notes: I used more than 5 quarts of popcorn. It didnt' seem like 5 quarts was enough. I also doubled the recipe each time I made it and cooked the popcorn in my roasting pan - it worked great.)

4 comments:

The Rhiens said...

Yummmmmm! It looks yummy and festive. And like LOTS of work. Impressive. This reminds me of Alicia's beans this summer.

Mom

Liz said...

Oh my goodness. I am so excited to make this now! (But not nearly as much!!!)

Jesse and Ashley Packer said...

I have carmel corn REALLY similar to this. It is so easy (well, mabye not when you make 35 bags of it.) I also love that you don't have to eat is with wet wipes near by. It really isn't too sticky. Sounds like you have been busy. Enjoy the holidays.

Sandra said...

Wow, can I come live at your neighbors temporarily so that I can get some! But 35 bags--reminds me of the year I baked 130 dozen christmas cookies.

Love to you all, Sandra