Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Tax Man....

Have I ever expressed on my blog my utter hate for taxes? I just get so stressed out about the whole ordeal and seriously loose sleep. Since having our own business this has just gotten about 10 times bigger of a deal, and caused me 10 times more stress.

Anyway, I stressed about it so much, and put it off for so long that we had to file an extension for our business (how unfair is it that business stuff has to be filed by MARCH 15th?!?) Anyway, I always forget that business stuff is due sooner - because APRIL 15th is so ingrained in my brain. So our accountant took care of all of that - but I wanted to have it all done by the personal filing deadline. So I got all of our stuff together, organized and ready for the accountants last week.

And since then - every day Cory hears, "So, have you heard from the accountant yet?" "What do we owe?" "How bad is it this year?" They've worked on them and last night we got a call saying that they weren't finished, but would be today. We asked for a round about estimate of what it looked like we owed - it was ugly. Not as much as it's been some years, but more than last year. I was sick. I was also very anxious to hear the FINAL number.

So - are you ready for this??? Cory calls me back this afternoon after stopping by to talk to our accountant, and - get this - WE DON'T OWE! There were a few things that were entered under 2006, that should have gone under 2007, and after fixing those it appears we will be getting a refund! That hasn't happened for us for a LONG time. The accountant (who I now am in love with) said he is sure that we don't owe anything, but he wants to be able to go over everything with a fine toothed comb after all the hullabaloo settles downand he has a fresh set of eyes so he can be sure to get us back all that we should be getting back. So he'll be going with an extension and getting it wrapped up in the next few weeks. At this point I simply would be happy to break even!

Moral of the story (no, it's not that it's ok to procrastinate your taxes....) is that sometimes stressing out can lead to a happy ending :)

No comments: