Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One of my favorite scriptures


I was sending an email to a friend and felt impressed to share this scripture.  It is one of my very favorite scriptures in the world and has helped to teach me in many instances in my life.

Mosiah 24: 10-16

  • 10 And it came to pass that so great were their afflictions that they began to cry mightily to God.
  • 11 And Amulon commanded them that they should stop their cries; and he aput guards over them to watch them, that whosoever should be found calling upon God should be put to death.
  • 12 And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their ahearts to him; and he did know the bthoughts of their hearts.
    13 And it acame to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
  • 14 And I will also ease the aburdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as bwitnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their cafflictions.
  • 15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did astrengthen them that they could bear up their bburdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with cpatience to all the will of the Lord.
  • 16 And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage.

 Specifically where they are told that the Lord will ease the burdens on their back - even so they cannot feel them. We often want the Lord to take away our burdens - make it all just go away and work out perfectly. Too often it doesn't work that way though, and the real lesson is submitting to His will and letting him carry us, as well as our burdens. I KNOW through times in my life that my burdens haven't gone away, but that I haven't carried them on my own. My own back has been strengthened and my ability to carry the burdens has been made possible by the help of my Heavenly Father.  I find such comfort in that message of peace and love.

No comments: