Sunday, October 03, 2010

Things I Love

I see this frequently on a few friend's blogs and Facebook pages and I'm reminded of things I'm grateful for too.  I need to document those simple, everyday things better.  Those are things I will look back on later in life and be glad I recorded.  So here are a few I'm thinking of today:



I have looked at a bunch of different, fun running jewelry since I started running.  I'm not a huge jewlry fan, but I like jewelry that has a connection to it - a momento from a special event.  Anyway - I think this little running charm is adoreable.  I have a friend running a BIG race this year and I've been looking at different fun things I'd love to get her to remember it by....we'll see....(oh to be wealthy and be able to purchase fun little trinkets for everyone I think about each day....that's hard for me in this current financial climate.  I see things - both big and little - that remind me of others, that friends or family members would enjoy - and I wish I could spoil them.  I guess that's a little bit of my love language - giving gifts.  Wish I could do more in that regard...

Cottage Cheese:
Ha - kind of silly - but I *heart* cottage cheese.  With the way I'm trying to eat (6 small balanced meals consisting of a lean protein and healthy carb) I'm always looking for good ways to get protein in.  Cottage cheese has become a staple in my diet.  It's simple, tasty, and very healthy.  I like to add Salad Supreme seasoning or Mrs. Dash seasoning, sometimes mix I it with fat free fruit flavored yogurt, use it as a dip with rice/whole grain baked chips or use it as a dip with carrot slices. Totally versatile :)

Friends and Running:
September 18th I ran my 3rd 1/2 marathon in just over a month.  I think it was a 1/2 marathon every 2 weeks.  I am so grateful that I've discovered that I can run.  Sure - I'm not the fastest runner - but I did it.  The Cedar Canyon 1/2 I ran in September was painful - it was hard.  I was in pain and I didn't know at times if I was going to even be able to run the race, much less do very well.  I'm so grateful that I could push my self and finish - and even end up with a personal record (2:11).  I loved seeing friends there (who are faster runners) and feeling of their excitement, support and seeing that we're working together to do something good for our bodies - which helps us give back to others.

Projects that just come together:
Sometimes I have a scrapbook page I'm really happy with.  Yesterday I was working on this layout and it just clicked - it just came together exactly like I had wanted it to and I was really happy with it.  That doesn't always happen....more often than not I sit and stare at a layout and get frustrated with it.  I love it when things just click and fall together nicely.

I LOVE this weekend in October every year.  I love listening to our church leaders as they teach us the things we need to hear. It amazes me how there always seems to be a theme - even though talks are not assigned.  I love that no matter what I'm going through in my life it's as if every talk was written JUST FOR ME.  I am grateful that I have answers as I listen to the talks.  I just LOVE conference!  I missed most of the Saturday morning session (Gabe's last soccer game for the season) and I am anxious to watch the recording of it later.  It's not the same to me as watching it live - but the messages are still important.  I absolutely loved Elder Richard G. Scott's talk on the Saturday afternoon session.  It was one that just CLICKED for me too.  It talked about repeated ideas that I have been reading about/thinking about in the last month or so.  I love when there are principles or ideas that pop up repeatedly in my life.  It's like Heavenly Father REALLY wants me to learn something - so I'm taught it over and over again - from different messages, different friends, different experiences.  If I hear it 2 or more times I am learning to listen carefully - it's probably important :)









I have found that most of the time when a movie is called "Oscar Worthy" that I don't fall in love with it.  When critics love a movie - I generally find it odd.  Cory and I have commented more than once that if a critic doesn't like a movie - we'll probably enjoy it.  But this time I had heard quite a few things saying that this movie was great and that the acting was fantastic and would be up for awards in the upcoming award season and we loved it!  I like movies that promote discussion and make us think.  As we left the theater we talked about things we give up, things we loose - and if it's worth it.  Pride, greed, intelligence, friendship, loyalty, brilliance, and ideas that can change lives.  Interesting stuff. 

__________________________

I hope to work on being grateful for simple things more often.  I hope that I don't take things for granted or get complacent about expressing my gratitude.  I'm so richly blessed and I am grateful for so many things, relationships, lessons, experiences...What are  you grateful for or enjoying about life today?

__________________________



As I was making this list I paused to pay a little more attention to conference.  President Thomas S. Monson, the prophet and president of our church began his talk.  I typed up a few of this thoughts becuase they went along with what I was just thinking about gratitude.  These aren't direct quotes - and there was SO much more he said that were important - but here's a start.  When the talks are posted online I'd reccommend re-reading his sweet words that remind us of being grateful:
He is a wise man who doesn't greive for the things he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.  Gratitude is a divine principle....Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in ALL things. And in nothing doth man offend God or against none is his wrath kindled save those who confess not his hand in all things. We are told to live in Thanksgiving daily for the mercies and blessings God doth bestow upon us.  Regardless of our circumstances each of us has much to be grateful for. If we will but pause and contemplate our blessings.  This is a wonderful time to be on earth.  There is much that is wrong in the world today, but there are manyt higns that are right and good. Our lives are blessed in countless ways.  We can lift ourselves and others as well as we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate in our hearts an attitude of gratitude.  Gratitude is of the nobelest of virtues and the parent of all other virtues.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Love this post. We all need to remember to be more grateful for the sweet, simple gifts in our life.

Love the necklace! That is so very cute. I too am a little gift giver, and wish I could do more of that.

I'm with you on the cottage cheese too! I'm eating 5 meals - protien at 20 - 25 grams, and healthy carbs at 10 - 12 grams, and cottage cheese is a staple. Love it!