Saturday, February 13, 2010

Family Bike Ride

In my newer efforts to being healthier as a family I have found that when we do have some family time available I want to be doing things that are more active. Today the weather was gorgeous and the boys wanted to get their bikes out. So after an afternoon of riding their bike and scooter around the backyard we decided to take a little family bike ride up the canyon. We headed into town with the bikes in the back of the truck and took off. It was about a 5.5 mile round trip and was great! Cory hauled the bike trailer with the boys and I got a fantastic bike ride. Going up the canyon was somewhat uphill and when we got to the end of the trail my legs were burning (and it felt great!). But coming back was a blast! I just rode ahead of the boys - the weather was crisp and yet so invigorating! I thought I was going to smoke the boys and beat them back to our truck but then in the last few yards Cory came flying up behind me. Dang it! I totally thought I'd beat them. A little bit of competitive edge came out in me. Next time I won't let them beat me! :)

It taught me that in life we can't let our guard down until we have officially crossed the finish line. Sometimes we'll be cruising along in life and let our guard down. We might not eat as healthy as we have in the past, or not stay as organized as we normally are. We might take a break spiritually and not stay totally on top of our spiritual growth and development - or think we're ok financially so we don't take normal important precautions.....

But we always need to be on our toes. We always need to bring our "A Game" and be prepared for whatever might be coming up behind us - especially if we want to win across the finish line. We can't become complacent, think we've got it all figured out, or take it too easy - because I don't know about you - but I want to WIN in the end!!!

3 comments:

Ellis said...

Looks like you all had a great time! I love seeing ALL of you happy, smiling faces! I hope it warms up here soon. I'm tired of the cold and can't wait till we can play outside for more than 5 or 10 minutes (that's all that V lasts in the chilly weather). Happy Valentines to you!

Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

Loved your journaling on this one. You are so right. We need to stay on top of our game. Good reminder. Looks like you all had fun. Love ya!
Mom

The Rhiens said...

Woops...that last comment was by me, but I didn't realize that Paul was logged in. So, it says it was from them. Oh well...Love, Mom